The Coastal Arts Center of Orange Beach is located in the city's first hotel. Built in 1923, the boarding-house style hotel featured 11 bedrooms and one half bath upstairs (the area is still used by the Art Center for storage) while the family resided in the downstairs portion. The facility was only accessible by water until Canal Road was completed in the late 1940s.
The center, previously managed by Friends of the Arts nonprofit group, became an Orange Beach city facility in 2013. The city continues to work with the Friends of the Arts to help make the center a well-rounded oasis for the arts.